04/18/2018 09:24 AM PDT
Highlights from this week’s Recreation Report - Best bets for fishing
Spring can offer some of the best fishing of the year, with almost unlimited possibilities. Check out some of the seasonal opportunities on the MyODFW webpage. In the meantime, here are some highlights from this week’s Recreation Report.
- Dozens of waterbodies throughout the state have been stocked with thousands of trout. And it will only get better.
- If rivers and streams float your boat, the warming spring temperatures, and increased insect hatches are putting trout on the bite.
- It’s not too late to get your spring Chinook. In fact, several fisheries are just heating up. Check out the Columbia above Bonneville Dam and the lower Rogue. Or, be the first to report catching a springer in the Nestucca or Tillamook bays.
- It’s getting warm enough for warmwater fish. There’s largemouth bass in Lost River, crappie in Gerber and Campbell reservoirs, and the elusive striped bass in the Smith River.
- Anglers have reported catching rockfish and lingcod inside the Umpqua jetty and in Coos Bay near the north jetty and other submerged rock structures.